Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Dead of Winter

As we are all trying to get through until summer I find myself wanting to not be in my apartment on my days off, but I soon realize how I do not want to venture outside since Chicago is not the best place to be in the winter time. I was looking through my emails one day when I found that someone had posted old GNI photographs in a yahoo group that I belong to. Now I don't know the formal etiquette on discussing the pictures that are sent out within this group, but I find these posts such a pleasant surprise. I can tell that they are older, because of one, how much younger people look in the pictures, and two the name badges. Looking at these pictures has revitalized my spirit and I realize how much I really do miss everyone at camp.

For me now, seeing people at GNI once a year has become habit. I know I will see them again next year and August is always here before I know it. I have spend 26 years just trying to get through my day to day life. Everything has always been paying the bills that I have to pay, then homework, after that school, and finally summer. Now with my graduation ahead of me and the beginning of a new chapter in my life; I suddenly feel like I want to enjoy the day rather than just getting through it. I actually started a savings account last year. It was surprisingly more of an accomplishment for me than I realized, because suddenly I felt more like an adult with responsibilities, rather than an adult who can legally drink and doesn't need a bedtime.

After the last gathering I had a sudden realization that I was not a child anymore. I had spent most of my life striving to become an adult and it had happened before I knew it. I honestly believe that this lifestyle helped me get there faster than most of my peers. The reason why I say that is because I found a place in the world where I am judged based on the content of my character, because that's all I really have to show. I know there are people out there looking for this experience as I use to look for it. Now that I found it I want to share it with everyone. I spent the first part of my life looking for a place where I belong now that I found it; I spend the next part of my life looking for more people to share it with.

Stay Naked,

Nick

www.wedoitnaked.com