Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Interpreter Training Program eats my LIFE!!!

One of the classes I am taking this semester is called "multicultural issues in interpreting." I find this class very interesting because I am always analyzing people, culture, and how I fit into the mess. In this class I am personally learning about cultural identity. The class really discusses how various cultures communicate with each other, I usually strive to get more out of a class t than what is on the syllabus.

It's through this class I am finding my cultural identity. I may have said this in previous blogs or people may have heard me say it at one point or another if they know me, that I am Naturist first and Gay second. Meaning I feel like I relate to Naturist culture more than Gay culture which can seem funny to my textile friends that do not get the opportunity to see me in a Naturist environment. I have recently realized that in a gay bar I'm usually found in the gross hole in the wall bars or the bars that are not on Halsted. This also includes straight bars which I seem to be spending a majority of my time at as of recent. The point is that even in gay culture I still feel as if I'm on the outside looking in. This was the first clue to my realization of my cultural ties to Naturism.

The second indicator was my progression of coming out. I realized I was a Naturist about a year before I realized I was Gay. My idea of a nice vacation is being at a Naturist resort or being at GNI, not Gay days at Disney, or southern decadence in New Orleans, although both would be fun, I won't sacrifice my naked time :-). This realization calms my constant feeling of not really ever fitting in.

One point I would like to express in this self-realization is why do we do what we do and why do we feel the way feel? I guess I am always asking the question why and I believe people should walk through their lives not only just asking that question, but demanding to find answers to that question.

Stay naked

Nick

www.wedoitnaked.com